Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Veteran RTM football commentator Aziz Ibrahim

I would like to ask the readers of this blog this question. Can you remember the last and final time an English FA Cup Final being carried live by RTM Channel 1 and the commentary of this cup final match is in Bahasa Malaysia?

Yes,that was in 1977 and it was a very long 34 years ago and the commentator for this match is an old timer by the name of Aziz Ibrahim. That cup final match in 1977 at the old Wembley is between Manchester United and Liverpool in which United won 2-1

The first time I met Aziz was at the AGM of Nestle Bhd in which he was the head of Public Relation of Nestle and I am a small shareholder and it was in the early nineties.

On Tuesday 19th July,I went to the office of water service provider Syabas at Jalan Pantai Baru to seek clarification and explanation as to why Syabas charge me Commercial Rate on my water bill when I am staying on the 4th floor of a shophouse. The answer given by Syabas customer service is that they follow the zoning of DBKL which state that any property which is on top of any shophouse is considered as commercial property even though that property is a family house.

When I was looking for a parking space I saw Aziz and called him. The first thing I ask him is what he has been doing since retirement from Nestle and he said that he is in permanent retirement. Immediately,I ask when was the last time he was doing a Bahasa Malaysia commentary in an English FA Cup Final at Wembley?

His answer is 1977, a very very long time ago.

No comments: